[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4493: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression'
cramikskim.com • View topic - Montara Report

Subscribe in a reader

cramikskim.com

scrilla
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Montara Report
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:08 pm 

South swell ended up being sloppy crap for surfing this pas two days, finally took off for MOntara around 6pm.

Looking Ugly from the shore, but down the beach revealed itself to be fun and well lined up. w wasn't too much of an issue as a surprised.

Knee to chest/shoulder high dry shorebreak, very occasional head high set.

Anyway I ate so much shit, literally but it was a blast! Sometimes the backwash would come up high enough so you could take off on the flat and then take speed down the slope. Good times, I cant believe how much I missed skimboarding.

Post subject: Re: Montara Report
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:14 pm 

thanks for the report, this is Nik right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:09 am 

Yes you got it!

Second I time go on a w'y day, and really I didn't feel it too bad once down the beach.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:08 pm 

Update for 07/02:

Ugly looking, knee to chest high, went an hour or two after high tide.

Slow start, but finally found a good peak down the middle of the beach, had to sweep up a few honor student kids of the shore break, but besides that ended up being hella fun!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:05 pm 

montara at 9 am had offshore breeze holding the peaks, could have bean higher tide for perfection

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:35 pm 

ozzy wrote:
montara at 9 am had offshore breeze holding the peaks, could have bean higher tide for perfection

Nice! there's been a lot of south west w lately so ye I can definitely believe it.

LAst went about 2-3 weeks ago, ugly mutant south swell shorebreak almost head high on sets, didnt catch a thing, but gnarly looking nevertheless...dropped my board on the rail in the dirt lot, now gotta do repairs...gonna kook the surfboard at OB for a while instead...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:59 pm 

My friend moved to the area recently and wants me to visit. I'll be checking here for Montara reports when I go up. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:55 pm 

Hi. I've never been to Montara, and am thinking about going either tomorrow or the day after (or both).

Bad idea/good idea?

Also, how safe is your stuff there? What's the likelihood of a backpack getting nabbed or rifled through when you're not looking?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:21 pm 

never had any issues with leaving stuff on the beach when skimming.

skimmed it yesterday and it was very fun on the outgoing tide. check the south end when you go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:15 pm 

cha_siu_bao wrote:
Also, how safe is your stuff there? What's the likelihood of a backpack getting nabbed or rifled through when you're not looking?

The only time I ever worry about my stuff is when I'm skimming in the city or if it's really crowded with people. There are wetsuits and waterproof backpack accessories for wetsuits that I see a lot of skimmer & surfers use for car keys and such. I was at Gray Whale a couple weeks ago, and the slope was really nice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:13 am 

Montara is definitely worth a check on the lower mid tide ( 2-4 ft ) today or tomorrow. The w isnt looking good for the next couple of days though so the morning, before the doubles start howling would probably be the best call. Monday and Tuesday were pretty clean looking on my drive by. South end is pretty set up as far as the sand bar but with the shorter period w swell the next few days, it probably wont be as good.

I havent had an issue with my stuff getting jacked at Montara but be careful about what you leave in your car. My friend and i have both had our cars broken into at Gray Whale Cove, which is the beach just North.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:35 pm 

you guys go at low-mid tide?!?

I've so far had more chances at outgoing high tide....

Never had a problem as far as car breaking out there (GWC seems more scetchy).

Little bit of south swell all week, should be good

BTW anybody ever skimmed Sharp Park? there's a really nice set up south of the pier, and the shorebreak gets beefy from what I understand in fall/winter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:01 pm 

yea catching it coming down from a high tide opens up some fun stuff usually.

got some fun waves out there today from ~5-7.

from what i've heard sharp park rarely has any skim, some of the OGs on here can give you better info

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:15 am 

Checked it out at at 2 and it was pretty troughy..The lower mid-tide to higher mid-tide is usually best from what ive seen at Montara. That can fluctuate depending on the swell / duration combination though. the higher tides there (>5ft) are usually too high to skim, where you get nasty trench. I'll be out there today at 10 and hopefully its legit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:25 am 

for Sharp park, smaller swells and lower tides are usually best for that place. More than not, you will find yourself riding a trenchy wave out there, but it can have its days, if conditions are right.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:45 am 

Montara Parking
It's the dirt parking lot that seems to be more a risk then the paved since it is out of site. No problems to date parking in either. The restaurant is safe to and good eats with honey waitresses. Happy hour is happy. I usually park in the smaller paved lot across from the old Cliff House and mountain bike up Montara mountain before I skim leaving my boards in the car covered by my sarapi(spelling? Blanket from Mexico).

Be careful on HWY1 between Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz. The bloody pirate flag with dual duct-tapped bamboo poles was created after my car was broken into years back at what I called Cyclops Beach. Just looking for hidden spots along that stretch as I got scammed. It only took a half hour for the scam to react to my best guess.

We parked along the tracks and noticed across the way some hippie look'in dude just standing over looking north. OK whatever. We head down to the cove with this big cave off to the left and a very small section with a great shorebreak tubing to the shore. Very cool but we spent more time cave burning then skimming and maybe the skim spirits kicked me for that. We ventured out and started to skim. The hippie guy looked over the bluff and quickly pulled back. Suspicious we packed up a few minutes later.

The crook took a screw driver to the passenger side of the lock(very respectable not breaking the window which could have been a pain driving home) and opened the door that way(no alarm 89 Dodge Colt). Fumed, I drive over and almost go to blows with trippy hippie as he denied being involved as I stated to him that I would call the cops eventually. I questioned why he looked over the bluff and quickly pulled back. His reply. I was looking for chicks. Ha! F'ing guilty since hippie was there and in my mind knew of all the beach goers in and out of the area. I finally intimidated him enough to get him to admit the Blue CRX parked next to my car while we were in the cove.

I took off towards Santa Cruz with the idea this scam was in the area based off my hippie scanning instincts physically and mentally(neither can confirm nor deny training). I was correct by stopping at the next dirt parking just up the way that had a line of site to hippie trippy. Parked at the end was the blue CRX and my heart started to pound not knowing what this guy could pull. Worked out the game for fists, knife or gun and told my buddy to get out of the car but hold back with his hands open and in site smiling(F'ing clown never got out of the car stating he was looking for a pen to write down the license plate, but he was handicapped, but still needed the backup) as I parked just enough behind him so he could reverse. Walked up and his window was down and asked him(wicked colored eyes, like an alien) if he saw anyone by my car or noticed it was broken into so I could report the time of the break in. He first denied then changed the story as I stated again smiling he was not being questioned in wrong doing but helping resolve a crime. He said no(this guy was extremely agitated and I need to back off as I noticed he was like a trapped wild cat backed into a corner). He then stated he had to go as I noticed nothing in his car and backed off respectfully. He took off and I dared not to follow. Let that go as nothing is worth the unpredicted hassle. I stall for about ten minutes to give him time to vacate the area.

Leaving the parking area I slam on the breaks and notice all of our stuff thrown out in the bushes and our backpacks. How cool is that as he respected us again by giving some of our shit back. He ended up taking my favorite farmer-John wetsuit and an expensive medical kit for injuries. My friend lost nothing. Funny thing was that I let my buddy smoke a cig in the car so the car smelt. When the crook broke in, he never looked in the ash tray where I stashed my bank card, license and about $40 bucks in cash.

So make a weapon that does not look like a weapon as the long bamboo pole/flag attached helps with fists and knifes, as I still have that terrible allergy with bullets. Oh, and dogs tend to want to pee on the pole too so it has it's draw backs on the beach. It also helps with the chica's though and have gotten the girls from time to time when my skimming doesn't impress them. The blood on the flag represents all of it spilled learning to skim over the years. Funny, people tend to take more pictures of the bloody pirate flag then of me skimming. Go figure.........

The moral of the story. When skimming at Cyclops, bring more than one eye. rrrrrrrrrrrrr........

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:52 am 

you don't, by chance, skim with a skeletor mask on some times?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:10 pm 
Master Bator

skimz2 wrote:
Montara Parking
It's the dirt parking lot that seems to be more a risk then the paved since it is out of site. No problems to date parking in either. The restaurant is safe to and good eats with honey waitresses. Happy hour is happy. I usually park in the smaller paved lot across from the old Cliff House and mountain bike up Montara mountain before I skim leaving my boards in the car covered by my sarapi(spelling? Blanket from Mexico).

Be careful on HWY1 between Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz. The bloody pirate flag with dual duct-tapped bamboo poles was created after my car was broken into years back at what I called Cyclops Beach. Just looking for hidden spots along that stretch as I got scammed. It only took a half hour for the scam to react to my best guess.

We parked along the tracks and noticed across the way some hippie look'in dude just standing over looking north. OK whatever. We head down to the cove with this big cave off to the left and a very small section with a great shorebreak tubing to the shore. Very cool but we spent more time cave burning then skimming and maybe the skim spirits kicked me for that. We ventured out and started to skim. The hippie guy looked over the bluff and quickly pulled back. Suspicious we packed up a few minutes later.

The crook took a screw driver to the passenger side of the lock(very respectable not breaking the window which could have been a pain driving home) and opened the door that way(no alarm 89 Dodge Colt). Fumed, I drive over and almost go to blows with trippy hippie as he denied being involved as I stated to him that I would call the cops eventually. I questioned why he looked over the bluff and quickly pulled back. His reply. I was looking for chicks. Ha! F'ing guilty since hippie was there and in my mind knew of all the beach goers in and out of the area. I finally intimidated him enough to get him to admit the Blue CRX parked next to my car while we were in the cove.

I took off towards Santa Cruz with the idea this scam was in the area based off my hippie scanning instincts physically and mentally(neither can confirm nor deny training). I was correct by stopping at the next dirt parking just up the way that had a line of site to hippie trippy. Parked at the end was the blue CRX and my heart started to pound not knowing what this guy could pull. Worked out the game for fists, knife or gun and told my buddy to get out of the car but hold back with his hands open and in site smiling(F'ing clown never got out of the car stating he was looking for a pen to write down the license plate, but he was handicapped, but still needed the backup) as I parked just enough behind him so he could reverse. Walked up and his window was down and asked him(wicked colored eyes, like an alien) if he saw anyone by my car or noticed it was broken into so I could report the time of the break in. He first denied then changed the story as I stated again smiling he was not being questioned in wrong doing but helping resolve a crime. He said no(this guy was extremely agitated and I need to back off as I noticed he was like a trapped wild cat backed into a corner). He then stated he had to go as I noticed nothing in his car and backed off respectfully. He took off and I dared not to follow. Let that go as nothing is worth the unpredicted hassle. I stall for about ten minutes to give him time to vacate the area.

Leaving the parking area I slam on the breaks and notice all of our stuff thrown out in the bushes and our backpacks. How cool is that as he respected us again by giving some of our shit back. He ended up taking my favorite farmer-John wetsuit and an expensive medical kit for injuries. My friend lost nothing. Funny thing was that I let my buddy smoke a cig in the car so the car smelt. When the crook broke in, he never looked in the ash tray where I stashed my bank card, license and about $40 bucks in cash.

So make a weapon that does not look like a weapon as the long bamboo pole/flag attached helps with fists and knifes, as I still have that terrible allergy with bullets. Oh, and dogs tend to want to pee on the pole too so it has it's draw backs on the beach. It also helps with the chica's though and have gotten the girls from time to time when my skimming doesn't impress them. The blood on the flag represents all of it spilled learning to skim over the years. Funny, people tend to take more pictures of the bloody pirate flag then of me skimming. Go figure.........

The moral of the story. When skimming at Cyclops, bring more than one eye. rrrrrrrrrrrrr........

Although I didn't understand half of that it still is by far the post of the year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:48 am 

epic post, haha...

today, there was no fire, but at about 1, some stuff bouncing around just north of the restaurant. kinda breezy and not really working. will be out there again at 10 tomorrow to see whats up

did anybody peep states in the afternoon today?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:35 am 
Master Interwebs Master

potter wrote:
you don't, by chance, skim with a skeletor mask on some times?

LOL!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next