baker>any beach, anywhere, anytime

square

Re: Socal vs Norcal?

Post by square » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:08 am

forget "Cal"...its all about Sanunga.

potter

Post by potter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:12 pm

where did you find your answer? And what is your conclusion?

sealy

Post by sealy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:12 pm

OOOoo Mr. davey square i would have to agree with...forget CA, brasil! lol

but both have their ups and downs...would say socal is a bit more consistent and weather temp is better...

norcal great breaks and heavy shore pound...maybe not as many big siders, but got all the same stuff

square

Post by square » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 am

cramikskim wrote:where did you find your answer? And what is your conclusion?

I found my answer in the most inter-depths of my mind, AND looking at the recent Foreverskim: [url]foreverskimthemag.com[/url], it was a conclusion.

other beliefs that Sanunga is better than Ca for skim;

1: nicer backside connections (for goofy footers of course) Wedge is no, 1 for frontside, and probably overall urrlls.

2: most consistent 3+ sider connection ( maybe in the world).

3. Brazilian women.

4. less yuppie locals.

5. no norcal stickers on cars.

6. tropical paridise.

SCLiner
Master Interwebs Master

Post by SCLiner » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:58 am

I also heard Phuket has some good shore pound, my neighbor just got back and said "dude you would have had a blast on the thing you slide on over there".
Lina'
AKA Ballena Bob.

potter

Post by potter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:36 am

square - no doubt. I was directing my question at shred who started the thread and then deleted his whole question and I was just wondering what made him decide to do so. as far as my own personal perspective, sununga>cabo>socal>mainland mex>asutralia>france/port>norcal>oregon

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:44 pm

hey sorry for my tardiness cramik...

Lurking around the web for pics (tx Deebo :) and spots descriptions, looks about the same at the end...

Socal: warmer water (yes!!!), nice beach set ups, nice siders that connect into big waves... on the other hand super crowded, black ball areas, 12 year old spongers all over....and rarity of swell, although a 1-2 ft south swell with long interval probably does it down there!

Norcal: cold water (not a big deal when skimming), sharks (I though this doesn't apply for skimming but after reading bout Gualala I changed my mind :), super consistent swell wise, empty beaches, and if you live in the bay area you can skim from Monterey up to Bodega bay and that is a shit load of spots + undiscovered spots up north, where it would take two hours to drive 20 miles in socal.

After looking at Deebo's pics I have no doubt that we get as heavy if not heavier shorebreaks here, it's just that since the beaches are so empty around here there's practically no pictures of what's happening on the good days ( and let's keep it this way).

I wish I could find something like that around here when I get decent at skimming though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXzO4OY0 ... re=related

I'm sure with a little driving that must be possible...time will tell! That one spot north of SC with forbidden access could do something like that I believe...Idk

Anyway year long Norcal is awesome, SOcal is where it's at for summer time!
Last edited by shred2kook on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Yea the first time I skimmed Baker with Glenfidish it was absolutely macking , with glassy head high liquid steel barrels too bad I sucked too much to reach any of them
selvaskim wrote:baker>any beach, anywhere, anytime

sealy

Post by sealy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:22 pm

shred2kook wrote:where it would take two hours to drive 20 miles in socal.

Anyway year long Norcal is awesome, SOcal is where it's at for summer time!

since i started in socal..i got a little bit to say wbout this...

malibu to ventura is about 15 miles of beach...yet there are about 15-20 spots that come to mind. and this is only a 15-30 minute drive...up and down that coast

now if you want to extend ventura down to laguna which is about a 1-2 hour drive you are talking about a SH*T load of spots and some pretty damn epic legendary spots.

now onto your winter comment, there a bunch of winter spots. you can skim year round in socal too. in malibu-ventura there are a couple winter spots and they blow up big. and there is a prime spot that was in cloud 9(LONG BEACH)...shot during winter time...

i will admit norcal got great shore pound...and from SC to bodega is quite a drive also...i am sure that is about an hour to 2 cause i drove it before...got all love for bay area, where i am from, but wave consistency and shorebreak...i might have to say socal has norcal beat on that. but norcal is still awesome to me...just they offer different things...

sununga is great for reggys, cause not many front side siders...

potter- what is port? in your better or worse chart? cause i am in washington and would defenitly take a road trip to portland if that what you talking about..

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Right on!

...and it all started in Socal for skimboarding anyway, it's the craddle of the sport!

They seem to have more workable shorebreaks down there, verus evil norcal shorepounds...

It's interesting to gather info on the subject because the factors change a lot opposed to make a surfing comparison of the two.

I guess my main question is can we get that sider+big wave combination in Norcal as well. Seems like we have heavy shorebreaks or siders alone but more rarely the two combine together..

IDK I have just gotten back to skimming and have lived in Ca for only 4 years

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Sc-Bodega would take maybe 2-4 hours ? Living in east bay it's 1h30 drive either way.

I hear the traffic is horrible in socal...

potter

Post by potter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:31 pm

i don't think there's really much to debate here. Socal has much better skim and much more often.

Sider - nothing is as consistent as 10th or the wedge up here and nothing as massive as the wedge.

That being said, I'm a goofy foot and I'd rather ride sununga than the wedge.

Port = Portugal. Oregon was a joke that I shouldn't have made because I don't really know nothing about Oregon skim.

sealy

Post by sealy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:02 am

more of a fun debate...

norcal has siders too...i seen one in SC(they got multpile) get really big, but the connector wasnt working as good. bodega got siders but not a push off type sider that i seen, debo would know more than me... yeah that drive from east bay to bodega is a drive for sure lol.

yeah traffic in LA is terrible...laguna was only 70 miles away from where i lived, and ventura was almost same distance. laguna would take maybe 30 minutes longer, depending time of drive. dawn patrol you be fine . my drive in socal would be an hour to hour an half..depending on traffic...but i lived 40-60 miles away...

would Santa Barbara be considered central or socal?

so sad no skim in washington...loosing my sand feet...

potter

Post by potter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:09 pm

there's definitely sider up here - Baker, Wrights, Cliff House, Montara, Stockton, Marine Lab, etc. But none as consistent or as big as socal, IMO.

Love SB liners!

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Do you guys ever skim "its"?

Like I said before there's another one north of sc that would be sick (left wedge) but private property + state reserve makes it forbidden access :(

As far as I know the sport was born in Socal because of of steeper beaches with waves breaking too close to the shore for surfing, so if anything skimming makes much more sense down there than any other surfing sports imo. Funny how sport develop according to the surroundings (just like skateboarding and windsurfing that came up as an answer to flat spells...

cramikskim wrote:there's definitely sider up here - Baker, Wrights, Cliff House, Montara, Stockton, Marine Lab, etc. But none as consistent or as big as socal, IMO.

Love SB liners!

SCLiner
Master Interwebs Master

Post by SCLiner » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:40 pm

All this talk about siders, what about liners.
1 of my favorite liner spots is middles, in fact I got a few there Sunday.
Lina'
AKA Ballena Bob.

Beers

Post by Beers » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Baker - so you can skim naked and still make friends. great for pick up smash ball games

North of Baker - been there once. was a gin fueled adventure that was 8 hours from santa barbara. Great skim (cove/cramfest)

South of Baker - Montarable) it was. Sorry Dave

South of Montarable - Finicky

Hometown - SC (super cold) Rad sometimes. cliff. dude shreds. local legend.

South of - Monterey, plaza looks good, never cracked lips

MidCal - SB, tar foot, flat 90% of the time. when not flat, best liners.

Venturda to the Boo - best most consistent uncrowded skim ever. Bring Tecates for Starkdog the gate keeper

LA - all gay all day

Laguna - duh. there is a reason the best skimboarders in the world are from here. they are rich. rich people win. Look at Magic. he got aids and still won!

south of laguna - waste of time. San Diego sucks unless you want a std or to ruin your liver. wall rarely works. down with the wall!

Mex - fast food, dirty women. go there

brazil reminds me of baker-

Hawaii - ahhhhh Hawaii

the rest of the world can suck it. except france. France has topless beaches that are probably skim worthy
the fish dont fry in the kitchen

sealy

Post by sealy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:57 pm

thank you beers for the hawaii pic...made my day...

miss the dawn patrol beers days...