Don't hide car keys near car ever.

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Don't hide car keys near car ever.

Post by Deebo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:21 pm

I thought Bodega Bay was pretty safe overall from this kind of b.s., but guess I was mistaken being that my car keys were stolen off my tire as well as my Gopro from my glove box while I was surfing at Doran this weekend. Lucky it was just that though and kind of a weird whole story. Here's how it went down:

I was the only car in the parking lot when I put my keys pretty well hidden on my tire (woudln't find them unless you were a thief looking to steal) and then went out for a quick surf @ Doran. Turned out to be a pretty quick session luckily I guess, since my legs started cramping very badly less than an hour in the water (from mountain biking earlier). If I would have got out right away when the cramps started though I probably would have beat the theft or at least caught the guy in the act. Tried to power through it though, since the waves were pretty fun and getting better with higher tide. Finally gave up after a few more minutes since cramps would not stop.

I get to where I can see my car in the lot and there is a guy walking towards my car for a second until he sees me coming. He immediately turns around gets in his old white Dodge van and drives down the road and parks in the next lot. I think hmmm that looked weird/sketchy, so quickly I look for my keys which aren't there of course and I start freaking. Immediately I run to the next lot and ask the guy if he has seen my keys. Didn't want to just straight accuse him in hopes that he would just hand them over and say he found them, but he just says no sorry and offers to help me out. He's and older surfer from the area, but still seems sketch though like maybe homeless druggie type and he just rambling all sorts of nonsense to me. Like stuff that seems like he's definitely over compensating and lying about things even if they don't have to do with my theft situation.

I actually end up using his phone attempting to get a hold of my girlfriend, to bring my spare keys out so I can actually get into my locked car. It looks like nothing was taken, but at this point I can't be sure. I end up being stuck outside of my car for over 2 hrs in my wetsuit with 30 mph w's which sucked. Over this time the guy brings his van back over to the parking lot my car is in and his hanging around bsing and stuff, I'm guessing to try and not act suspicous, but obviously he's just looking worse. I end up using another surfer's phone who shows up and finally get a hold of my girlfriend to bring the spares. During this the white van guy moves his van again, so that is like in between my car and the guy helping me and is just kind of hanging out forever until he finally says he has to go. I'm thinking maybe he was going to try to put the stuff back or something.

Gf finally shows up with my spare keys. Turns out my Gopro was taken from my glovebox, but that's it. Weird that the thief locked my car back up after taking my Gopro. Luckily my $800 surf board through the middle of the seats, my wallet and phone in the back are all still there and my freaking car of course! I'm thinking it had to be that guy though because I'm pretty sure any other theif wouldn't have just stopped at the Gopro. I think I must have walked up on him right when he was going back for more, but I got there before he could look through the back. Also his car was originally parked where he could actually probably see my keys from the driver seat and who else really knows where surfers hide their keys except people that surf? He also during the whole ordeal showed me his water camera that he was using earlier in the day? Not a Gopro, but seems pretty suspiscious right? Like he's trying to relate to something I might be into? Also tells me he's "gamefully unemployed" and offers me weed, which he's smoking when I first confront him?

Anyway now he has my keys, so I've got to get my spare key fob and key with chip re-programmed at least, so the set he has won't work and I don't have to worry about getting robbed or car stolen everytime I'm at the beach out there. After asking around I find out this van guys whole name and some info. Turns out he was and maybe still is a heroin addict and other people have been in some sketchy type situations with him. I also know the general area where he lives and I'm sure I'll see him around again.

Any advice on what I can do or should do being that I don't really have any direct evidence? Obviously part of me want's to retaliate, give him a taste of his own medicine and then some. But mostly I just want this guy to pay for his crimes according to the law and prevent other innocent people who are trying to have a good time at the beach from getting ripped off by this skumbag. I already submitted a theft/victim report to the rangers out there and they may question him if they see him, but I doubt anything will come of that. Anyway sucks that we even have to be paranoid about this crap at the beaches in Bodega and elsewhere, but I guess just don't be too naive like I've been.

square

Re: Don't hide car keys near car ever.

Post by square » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Damn, that sucks. You just got that gopro not too long ago. Too bad it got taken, but you're extremely lucky nothing else was taken. If I were in your position, I wouldnt rely on the park rangers to help you with that. You might want to file a report with the police department or sheriff that patrols the area, and tell them you saw the suspicious guy walking away from your car. Describe the car / guy. They probably wont follow up on that but theres a small chance they might search his car for your gopro or get fingerprints. If nothing, then at least you filed a report for it and next time it happens to someone else in the area, it will make it easier to get the guy, if he was the one that did it.

crass

Post by crass » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:44 am

I think I must have walked up on him right when he was going back for more, but I got there before he could look through the back

If you ever see that again, get on it. I've 'politely' asked a guy to turn out his pockets for me before. If he doesn't at least you tried.

But mostly I just want this guy to pay for his crimes according to the law and prevent other innocent people who are trying to have a good time at the beach from getting ripped off by this skumbag.

You have to be the calmest person I've ever met.

Make/model of the van please? Dudes name?

Sorry that happened to ya...looks like I'll be utilizing the little key pocket on my suit after all.

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:30 pm

crass wrote:
I think I must have walked up on him right when he was going back for more, but I got there before he could look through the back

If you ever see that again, get on it. I've 'politely' asked a guy to turn out his pockets for me before. If he doesn't at least you tried.

But mostly I just want this guy to pay for his crimes according to the law and prevent other innocent people who are trying to have a good time at the beach from getting ripped off by this skumbag.

You have to be the calmest person I've ever met.

Make/model of the van please? Dudes name?

Sorry that happened to ya...looks like I'll be utilizing the little key pocket on my suit after all.

Well he didn't really have any pockets because he was wearing boardshorts, but I suppose I could have asked him to search his van. Didn't really want to get in that sketchy thing though. It was like a late 80's worn down rusted white Dodge van with roof racks and kind of expensive kayak on top (probably stolen as well).

I have the plate number and his name. Don't want to do anything jurastic just yet because I'm dealing with the Sheriff departement on it. I definitely should have called the Sheriff department right away while I was stranded there and seen what his reaction was. Problem was that I didn't have a phone except for his cus it was locked in my car.

I can't put my key in my suit because it is big and has an immobilzer chip in it that could get damaged by the salt water. So I guess I'm just going to have to be very sly about hiding it on the beach somewhere. I have already diabled the one key hole on my car and re-programmed the keyless entry, so this guy has no way to get in my car except breaking windows and he won't be able to drive it.
Last edited by Deebo on Tue May 01, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potter

Post by potter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:11 pm

sucks bro, sorry. Just be lucky he didn't take the car for a joyride and get all crazy inside and take a crap or whatnot. Could have been worse. Don't worry about retaliation, karma will come around for that dude, and if it wasn't him, just think that maybe who stole was straight up poor as hell and gets to eat for a week or 2 - write it off as a donation on your taxes. :)

ozzy

Post by ozzy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 pm

call ozzy he will work on the guy one toe at a time!

Madinator6

Post by Madinator6 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:44 pm

That sucks, and it's kind of weird that he was only interested in your GoPro which was of course hidden in your glovebox. He must of somehow seen you before with it, and that's what he was going after. If you pull up his name you get this link...http://vivavelella.wordpress.com/2011/1 ... altosocal/ (he left the 3rd blog comment with the name Kirk T. Johnson). He's obviously from the area and a surfer because he writes at the end of his comment, "We’ve oldish classic surf to ride here in Bodega Bay today…swell coming!"

I also found this article on a shark attack with a man named Kirk Johnson who was a surfer http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/2316shar.html :shock: jk it looks like an old 1997 TV script.

Anyway I'm sure things will come back to get him.

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:06 pm

cramikskim wrote:sucks bro, sorry. Just be lucky he didn't take the car for a joyride and get all crazy inside and take a crap or whatnot. Could have been worse. Don't worry about retaliation, karma will come around for that dude, and if it wasn't him, just think that maybe who stole was straight up poor as hell and gets to eat for a week or 2 - write it off as a donation on your taxes. :)

Haha yeah well he does seem poor. Told me he's jobless and living off the land or something like that, but still that's his decision to struggle like that and doesn't give anybody the right to steal from another person.

He could easily be responsible, get a job, and earn his own stuff respectfully, rather than take it from someone like me who's story and background he doesn't even know. I bet he was justifying his right to steal my stuff because he was assuming that I'm spoiled and my newer car must have been given to me or something like that. Maybe he thought I was from soCal and crowding up his waves too.

Fact is I pretty much live paycheck to paycheck because of payments for that car and gas money to go on adventures and buy toys like that Gopro. Oh wait that Gopro I financed on by Best Buy card and am still paying for it even though the thief has it.

But yes I am lucky for sure it wasn't more and he is very lucky I'm not quite 100% sure it was him because I would have definitely gone awol. Then I probably would be in trouble though, so probably it worked out for the best.

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:15 pm

Madinator6 wrote:That sucks, and it's kind of weird that he was only interested in your GoPro which was of course hidden in your glovebox. He must of somehow seen you before with it, and that's what he was going after. If you pull up his name you get this link...http://vivavelella.wordpress.com/2011/1 ... altosocal/ (he left the 3rd blog comment with the name Kirk T. Johnson). He's obviously from the area and a surfer because he writes at the end of his comment, "We’ve oldish classic surf to ride here in Bodega Bay today…swell coming!"

I also found this article on a shark attack with a man named Kirk Johnson who was a surfer http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/2316shar.html :shock: jk it looks like an old 1997 TV script.

Anyway I'm sure things will come back to get him.

Yeah I saw that and his facebook, but already knew he was a surfer because I talked to him right after the incident and my friends in the area know him or at least of him.

Also I forgot to mention that the Bodega Surf Shack owner's wife got her car stolen at Doran while she was out surfing a while ago. I guess they found the car later all screwed up with a bunch of drug needles and stuff. Rumor is this guy used to be/maybe is still a heroin addict. I also had a surfboard stolen from Doran a year ago. Coincidence maybe?

crass

Post by crass » Tue May 01, 2012 9:49 am

Don't want to do anything jurastic just yet

haha. Sorry, but that made me laugh.
Nah, I just want the make/model/name out there for my (and everyone else's) own security.
That,...and I might take a shit in his van while he's breaking into cars.

Samuel Jackson

Post by Samuel Jackson » Tue May 01, 2012 1:35 pm

crazay, slash his tires next time you see the van haha jk. Same thing happened to me with my phone in Shell Beach. Locked car but left phone outside of car so I placed it on my tire. Skimmed for like 2 hours, come back and my phones gone but there are two people by my car looking all homeless. And this dude has my phone in his hand!...he gave it back and then I knocked him out (end of story may have been altered for your entertainment)

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Tue May 01, 2012 4:28 pm

^Haha nice! Well I was very close to beating the living crap out of him, but didn't have 100% proof that he did it. I was pretty pissed I had to wait for hours in my wetsuit in the w.

crass wrote:
Don't want to do anything jurastic just yet

haha. Sorry, but that made me laugh.
Nah, I just want the make/model/name out there for my (and everyone else's) own security.
That,...and I might take a shit in his van while he's breaking into cars.

Lol thanks I would appreciate that! Turns out the dealer wants to charge me over $400 for a new key set and to program the old one out! They're fng thieves too! I just disabled the one door key hole and programmed/deleted the old keyless entry out myself for free though, so he can't do anything with the set he has.

Here's a picture of his sketch van taken from his facebook (don't think that BVB is on there anymore):

sealy

Post by sealy » Tue May 08, 2012 10:58 am

sucks to hear, should look into key compartments(combination lock)...or one of those AAA plastic keys, so you can take it with you in water and leave keys in car...karma is right...

SCLiner
Master Interwebs Master

Post by SCLiner » Mon May 14, 2012 8:38 am

Why would you ever leave your car keys on your tire?
Thats the oldest trick in the book besides the gas tank cover and everyone knows where to check for keys.
Hate to say it but what a dumb ass, sorry Deebo.

You would have been better off hiding them under a rock you could keep an eye on from the water.
Lina'
AKA Ballena Bob.

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Mon May 14, 2012 7:39 pm

^Haha yeah well remember that I wasn't surfing in Santa Cruz where sketchy people are numerous and would tend to look places like there. Would never leave my keys on my tire anywhere near there.

I was surfing in Bodega at a beach you actually have to pay $8 to park at, so didn't think theft would be an issue especially when I was only going to go for a quick surf and nobody was really around. Haven't ever heard of a problem or experienced one my whole life that I've been going out there until now. That sense of security is obviously ruined and gone now thanks do that d-bag though.

Deebo
Master Forecaster

UPDATE!!

Post by Deebo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Good news! Been almost a year from when my stuff got stolen, but I just found out they arrested this scum of the earth guy yesterday for another burglary.

I got called down to the detectives office earlier to see if the lone Subaru key in over a hundred keys they they found on him we're mine and sure enough they started my car. No Gopro found unfortunately and I guess he's somehow out on bail already, but it's good to have my peace of mind back. Also I'm sure it's going to get real ugly for him real quick as they match more keys up and tack them onto separate counts of burglaries.

So anyway I guess I'm relieved that justice will be served to this low life and guess I'm glad that Kevlar talked me out of beating the living shit out of him the other day when he was at the same beach we were skimming at lol

SCLiner
Master Interwebs Master

Post by SCLiner » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Shit Kevlar needs a good talking too.
Next time tell him to shut the fuck up and go beat the shit out of that rat bastard.
Lina'
AKA Ballena Bob.

Kevlar

Post by Kevlar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:23 am

Reason why,
You have to ask yourself. Do I want to just put fear into his eyes or put him in the hospitable?
There's allot at risk doing both considering we share the same beach. If you want to show him your mad by saying bad mean words, well you just signed yourself up as a suspect if anything ever goes wrong. This guy has little to loose. He can play the same game at that point.
If you want to take someone out you need to never talk about it.
No witness.
Deebo already publicly announced he wanted to beat the Shit out of him.
I told Deebo he should call the Press Democrat and other local news letters to do a report so his name will always appear on the net if someone looks. It will also destroy his credibility of living in our area. That should drive him away.
Besides, you can always keep your mouth shut and put him on the black list.
Last edited by Kevlar on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kevlar

Post by Kevlar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:28 am

Forgot to add, that day had lots of witnesses and with Deebos car in sight he'll leave behind all the evidence that the cops need to find and arrest him.
Not worth it. Be smart.

potter

Post by potter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:33 am

glad you got your stuff back Deebo. And I'm siding with Kevlar here Liner, I think you drank too much sake the other night, you never tell Kevlar to stfu.