Hike-in skim spots

cosmo334

Hike-in skim spots

Post by cosmo334 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:45 am

Yo, I was thinking about taking a short backpacking trip out at Point Reyes on the Coast Trail. Last time I was out there it looked like it had some skim potential - steep beach and decent shore-break - so I am considering hiking in with my skim. Anyone out there ever taken their skim on a backpack trip, or have any recommendations of other short back-country trails that might lead to some tasty and otherwise inaccessible skim? Yeah

potter

Re: Hike-in skim spots

Post by potter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:18 pm

i've done it a couple times - nothing epic. Definitely worth it to tote it around, but don't expect to find the long lost Sununga of the north coast. Most of it really looks the same as limantour or rocky.

Deebo and I were discussing our Big Flat hikes. I carried my skim out there and saw no skim and threw my board in the parking lot upon my return. Deebo didn't bring his skim and saw skim on the way back, not sure what he threw when he got back.

heins57

Post by heins57 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:43 pm

The secret cove will remain a secret for many years to come :roll:

Madinator6

Post by Madinator6 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:39 pm

I've been surfing at Bolinas quite frequently and I'd say the skim has actually been looking pretty dam good around the groin. When it's bigger I usually just surf right in the "rivermouth" and I'm only a couple feet away from the sand. Definitely worth a look if your there. Not sure if it's been done but winching there would be sick, but it's probably not a good idea because of the frequent speed boats going in/out. As far as hiking to those little beaches the only thing I know of is RCA (surf spot) but it doesn't have any skim.

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:44 pm

^What kind of tide do the Bolinas liners usually work at? High tide? Maybe I will check it out this weekend for skim and surf, since it looks like dub is going to be a problem everywhere else.

potter

Post by potter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:18 pm

funny, I've planned on checking bolinas the last 3 weekends and just said nah each time. Higher tide is usually best if the groin has sand. I'll meet you there!

Madinator6

Post by Madinator6 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Yah high tide is best. Depending if it is rocky or not you might want to bring a pair of booties & stronger board. I got the same costco board as Deebo and it's been really fun just fooling around with it there. Last week I was skimming alongside Cowels in SC at mid tide and it was the best skim I've had since winter although I did break a giant piece off of my board.

heins57

Post by heins57 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:21 pm

We We We will meet as in potteer and 57!!! should have gone last week right potter

cosmo334

Post by cosmo334 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Not to derail the conversation about Bolinas or anything, but it seems like there might be some good skim/hike options south of Santa Cruz, around Big Sur. Any of you southern folk have ideas about possible coastal hikes?

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:39 am

That would be pretty incredible down there!
cosmo334 wrote:Not to derail the conversation about Bolinas or anything, but it seems like there might be some good skim/hike options south of Santa Cruz, around Big Sur. Any of you southern folk have ideas about possible coastal hikes?

ebo651

Post by ebo651 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:01 am

I hiked in to one of the Pt. Reyes spots you mentioned the other day and the skim was underwhelming. Pretty sweet boogie waves, but too flat for skim, at least right now. Any information on possible spots would be appreciated, cause it is a pretty sweet idea

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:43 pm

I was talking to my coworker about hiking point reyes today ironically...

Should you be worried about sharks at all when skimming out there? They say there are a lot of seals on the shore.

Great tread, my wife is into hiking, and I'm into water sports so I'm gonna try to combine both in the same day this summer.

Madinator6

Post by Madinator6 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:13 pm

shred2kook wrote:I was talking to my coworker about hiking point reyes today ironically...

Should you be worried about sharks at all when skimming out there? They say there are a lot of seals on the shore.

Great tread, my wife is into hiking, and I'm into water sports so I'm gonna try to combine both in the same day this summer.
Maybe taking a look at http://www.californiacoastline.org/ (was on the Home of Cramik) might help you discover spots. I've been over it a few times looking for skim spots, and most of the coves are just for surfing. I know that Bolinas is #4 for beaches with the most sharks, and Point Reyes is probably just as bad if not worse. I don't really see the problem w/ sharks if you're skimming as you're usually on land.

Pt Reyes also has these nice little guys... :shock:

heins57

Post by heins57 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:20 pm

nice pic of the seal . Remeber at the south end montara there was this little sign say about ft by ft saying something, heck i didnt care what it said cause the skim was fat. So i go running to south end, was good the day before and thinken iam going to score again. So back to running to the south end, i run right past a huge rock. While iam running i dont recall a rock on the beach right there. At the time only 3 people near the sign and me running on a super slop beach. The rock was about 30 ft from the edge of the drop off for the sand. Each time i came up the beach that rock would be right there. Finally i made eye contact with him and i do mean baseball size eye contact with him. Absolutely crazy! I come to find out he was on endes at one point probably ready to make flat sand skimmer out of me haha. Funny as it may seem i bet this guy could out run old man to the shore line. haha So i sort of called it quits since the skim wasnt lining up and well him right behind me kind of killed the joy if you know what i mean. He moved around a little so as i was leaving i gave him one more eye to eye look and i was out of there. Naturally had the camera ready the next day but he was gone. man i just want to go up and give him em a bear huge ahah!

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:02 pm

haha! Yup I saw one day about 7 of these guys spread out through out the beach at ano nuevo, surf was small, tide was high I didn't even bother...speaking of which there's a nice shorebreak south end ano nuevo at high tide, a little too flat to skim unfortunately, anyone ever gave it a shot?

A friend of mine was at Point Reyes this Saturday for oysters, apparently the little south swell was hitting the beach stronger than in Santa Cruz. He says it could have been good for skimming, I don't know I haven't seen it...

I'd still be spooked about the sharks, I have plenty of times ended up far of the shore skimming having to swim back...odds are more limited but I believe shit can still happen. Any report of a shark attack on a skimboarder ever? Who wants to be first :D?!

Madinator6

Post by Madinator6 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:41 pm

I was in Santa Cruz when the shark attacked the kayak at Pleasure Point a couple days ago, so it was kind of on my mind when surfing there. Supposedly 7 surfers witnessed a seal get mauled that day as well. Also while watching the lane for a couple hours I saw a grey fin (figured it was a dolphin) but who knows. Despite the scare and all the news reporters nobody really cared because the surf was up and with the huge crowd your chances go down.

Maybe you want to check out this interview http://www.surfermag.com/features/sharkmegan05/ , sounds like this attack happened in only 10 ft of water.

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:09 pm

^Yeah, but she was way out there (>150 yards) past a few sand bars. I don't think sharks generally come in too close at Salmon Creek because they could maybe get trapped. I guess at some of the straight shorebreak spots they could be around and that is a crazy interview about the whole thing though. Megan is a badass for sure!

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Good point. I've been really spooked my first year here boogiing GWC on those huge swell, sitting way far in the ocean. I know they tend to hang on North side MOntara as there is a underwater canyon. That's right where Jeff Clark spotted one, and where you see the whales in spring.

Anyway since I saw KIller whales getting seals right on the shore, and considering the fact that skim spots drop off really abruptly you never know....but chances are less for sure, which is why I'm so stoked there's good skimming north of the bridge, I've always wanted to venture out there, but the shark factor always slowed me down for surfing...so Deebo you may see a big dumb eurotrash dude on your territory sometimes :).

And yeah the whole shark thing is def another reason why I love skimming nowadays haha

Deebo wrote:^Yeah, but she was way out there (>150 yards) past a few sand bars. I don't think sharks generally come in too close at Salmon Creek because they could maybe get trapped. I guess at some of the straight shorebreak spots they could be around and that is a crazy interview about the whole thing though. Megan is a badass for sure!

Madinator6

Post by Madinator6 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:58 am

Found this http://www.thedivingblog.com/5-things-m ... rk-attack/ . Then again that's what the guy in Australia who just got attacked probably thought.