Resurfacing Boards

TheGlyph

Resurfacing Boards

Post by TheGlyph » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Hey guys,

I'm getting tired of the potato sack yellow top color on my board and am thinking about grinding it down for a paint job and resurfacing.

Does anyone have a recommended method for sanding off my top epoxy coat? I assume I should take it down to carbon without actually hitting carbon?

Would love any tips/suggestions!

square

Re: Resurfacing Boards

Post by square » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:19 am

wouldnt recommend taking the whole coat off since you might damage the structural integrity of the laminate, but you can sand the top lightly with 100 grit paper and coat it with a marine urethane or epoxy coat. just be careful on how much you coat, since you will be adding weight.

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:17 pm

^Nice tip David. Any advice on how to add more nose rocker to my board, since it seems that there isn't enough? ;-) It's making it kind of touchy and difficult to get over any kind of bumps, especially when the beach is super steep. I guess I could just be imagining it and or I suck even more these days though lol

square

Post by square » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:59 am

That pretty funny Dustin. Heres an idea: maybe specify that on your board when you order it ;)

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Well I thought I "specified" that the last board (before it) didn't have enough rocker. The new one works good when it's clean, with no big bumps to get over, and not too steep of a beach. But those days are pretty rare in Bodega ;-)

square

Post by square » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:18 am

Well, you also told me (after that) to make you the same size / rocker as Kevin's...so I did.

square

Post by square » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:32 am

I agree that more rocker is easier to handle in most conditions. it's just slower, overall.

Kevlar

Post by Kevlar » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm loving my board.
Thanks Dave.

square

Post by square » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm glad you're like it, Kev.

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Hijacking the tread for a sec...Speaking about rocker, would you place your front foot further back from the nose when side sweeping with a board that has a lot of rocker?

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Yes I would say that would be a good technique. You can get away with your foot being further forward, past the start of the rocker, by shifting your weight more biased towards the back foot though.

heins57

Post by heins57 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:55 am

Nose or Tailer rocker or both? Anyway its weird but i have this narrow stance when i go out for a plan that i can remember then at the last second do this sort of hop and spread stance a little more so you can move the tail/nose around in the wrap. I got a long board so it allows me to do a dance when iam trying to get myself around a montara wave. The board i ride is pretty much all about montara needless to say so anywhere else it doesnt work except maybe salmon in bodega. Would like to see where this topic goes with other guys. Maybe you should get a thread going on this.

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:45 pm

Nose rocker. Seems like the board has a continuous rocker so there a tiny tiny bit of tail rocker, also it is a BIG board ( about 56") so off course the rocker seems bigger.

Saved my ass more than once in closing waves, although I have stress marks half way down the board from running late into shorepounds and not spreading my stance enough...

That said I still can't side sweep properly, unlike Glyph that is getting down pretty good now, I think I really need to learn how to pump the board first.

Yea may need to start another tread...