OFFICIAL CRAMIK SKIMFEST DATESKY

chris_4255

Re: OFFICIAL CRAMIK SKIMFEST DATESKY

Post by chris_4255 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:54 pm

post pone! even though i had to ask a month ahead of time for the day off.
just say no to dub

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Well I think it's a little early to make the call to postpone it being that weather forecasts going 6 days out (especially concerning dub-factor) aren't really all that reliable. Also low pressure systems can actyually be pretty good for keeping the dub down and bringing in clean swell. Sure they're not usually the warmest and high pressure with offshore flow is the best bet, but those days are very rare. We could get lucky with these offshore flow "Indian summer" type of conditions waiting until late October, but at the same time probability is about equal that we could get cold messy weather.

As far as swell size I don't think that's as big of a concern since a variety of spots in the bay area work on varying swell size. I know for Baker and maybe Montara a good amount of swell is needed, but for the Bodega area generally very small clean swells are the best. The Cove is the only place that can really handle some swell up here, but it needs a higher high tide usually and this weekend that's not until evening (so we'd have to hope and hold out for no dub). If the swell is really small the Cove could work with the lower tides.

Either way I definitely vote to wait until late Wednesday evening or Thursday to make a final decision call on whether to postpone or not, basing it on the current sand setups and how the weather/dub forecasts are looking then. Hopefully people can scout out their local spots and preferabbly post some kind of media to help make the decision easier....

selvaskim

Post by selvaskim » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:15 pm

what he said

Shibby38

Post by Shibby38 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 pm

deebo, laying it downnnnnn

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:30 pm

Haha well don't give me too much credit as it's just my opinion, based on my skim condition experiences occuring in Bodega Bay.

square

Post by square » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:12 am

Being that the forecast is showing mostly smaller South West swell for the weekend, it could be a good setup for Montara or Grey Whale, which work better on the smaller swells. Grey Whale was decent this last Sunday on high tide. there is still slope there and Montara. I'll keep an eye on it and try to post pics this week. Sunday is actually looking like the better day with the dub dropping, but its too early to tell from the forecast right now.

selvaskim

Post by selvaskim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:43 am

square is right, forecast right now showing a nice 3-4 ft swell. Forecast also showing w dropping out considerably on sunday. based on what I saw at gwhale last thursday it definitely needs a higher tide so probably from 11am on. I won't be able to get out this week to scout our spots so hopefully you do square.

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:16 am

Yea right like knee high south swell for the week end... but anyway I'll be checking Montara and Graywale wenesday as I have the day off

selvaskim

Post by selvaskim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:45 am

Sarcasm? For the past few months Gray whale has been best on "knee high" 3-4 ft swells.

potter

Post by potter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 am

square wrote: Grey Whale was decent this last Sunday on high tide. there is still slope there and Montara.
Sucked when I was there with 57, which was at high tide, btw. Efren was there also. Soft sand is really bad at both Montara and Gray Whale, so even though they look decent, they are far from it.

heins57

Post by heins57 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:54 pm

:( man where is the crying happy face(potter). But yes that soft sand is a killer. Someone got to make a run to popular to redondo. Shred2kook, you got to check those places at mid tide coming up not going down. South swell should move something out there. Hey Nud and montara with soft sand cant last forever :wink: Square thats where you come in. Work got me pinned so i cant check anything.

square

Post by square » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:45 am

cramikskim wrote:
square wrote: Grey Whale was decent this last Sunday on high tide. there is still slope there and Montara.
Sucked when I was there with 57, which was at high tide, btw. Efren was there also. Soft sand is really bad at both Montara and Gray Whale, so even though they look decent, they are far from it.
Ah...Yeah, I didnt go down. Just saw it on the drive by at around 9:30. I guess at upcoming. It did look decent though, I'll try and make it down there tomorrow on the upcoming for a better look.

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:52 am

Dub forecast for Saturday keeps fluctuating, going down and up, back and forth. I say now we need to at least wait till tomorrow evening to make a call...

potter

Post by potter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:27 pm

that's getting a little late...

alexM.

Post by alexM. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:49 pm

hopefully it gets changed so i can go

selvaskim

Post by selvaskim » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:52 pm

The anticipation is too much to handle!!

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:16 pm

alexM. wrote:hopefully it gets changed so i can go
lol Let's be honest, you're never going to make it anyway! :wink:

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:19 pm

cramikskim wrote:that's getting a little late...
Why does it matter? Everybody who can make it already reserved the day off anyway. If it's called off last minute well people could always use it as a an excuse (maybe to get away from wife and kids) to skim still or go find something else to do. ..

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Either way I was planning on waking up at the crack of down tomorrow to check spots around Bodega and then cruise down to Limantour and Bolinas to see if anything is setup. I know Limantour and Bolinas can handle the north dub pretty well compared to everywhere else, if that is going to be a factor. Has anybody checked them lately?

potter

Post by potter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Nice! I was going to check limantour and bolinas tonight, but I was too late. Look forward to hearing the report!