Do any skimboards have a stringer?

cosmo334

Do any skimboards have a stringer?

Post by cosmo334 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:24 am

I would think that having a stringer in a skim would reduce the the likelihood of snapping the board, but I have yet to see one with a stringer. Ask yourself homeboy, why is this?

potter

Re: Do any skimboards have a stringer?

Post by potter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 am

nice KRS ref. I don't think they're needed in skims because the foam is thinner, denser, and there's more layers of cloth and glass. Grab a surfboard, you can put the thumb right through it, skims are much more durable and the pressure generated to snap a board would not likely be mitigated by a stringer. Plus, and I'm no expert, but I think stringers are probably a pain in the ass.

Occasionally. you'd see a board with a stringer when they were made out of clarke foam, but with divinicell, that shits so strong and dense I doubt it would make any difference, bwdik.

strat212

Post by strat212 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:47 pm

I suppose this relegates maui skimmers to the dustbin of sub-par materials and construction

heins57

Post by heins57 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:37 pm

I did a single carbon stringer and double carbon stringer with multi density closed cell foam wrap in carbon,think 5.7 oz. it still snap on one side of the stringer. As far as Maui skim boards are of concern I'd go easy on them before you find out more info.

square

Post by square » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:33 am

A "stringer" in the center of a skimboard is not necessarily a good idea since it wouldnt allow the board to have much flex. In surfboards, this works fine, because they are more than twice the thickness of a skimboard so they can get away with having low density (light) cores and a thin layers of glass. Like Potter said, skimboard cores are much denser, and the fabric/resin layer is thicker than a surfboard's. The flex pattern in most epoxy based laminates, and skimboards, account for most of the board's structural strength. You might not know it, but when your board is under a heavy load, it acts like a spring, even with stiffer carbon fiber boards, and that spring is balanced evenly across the board to limit breaking in half, especially for a board with a 5/8 or 3/4" thick core. Like Heinz's experiment showed, introducing a stringer in the center, just made it so the rest of the board flexed and cracked, outward from the middle.

I dont know much about Maui skims but from what I've seen, they look like they are twice as thick as usual, which makes up for the weaker, and lighter density surfboard foam it has. It doesnt mean its sub-par construction. There are plenty of good constructed surfboards. It's just that the thickness, is cumbersome and isnt very appealing for a skimboard.

SCLiner
Master Interwebs Master

Post by SCLiner » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:06 pm

Stringers are for swingers, right Tommer?
Lina'
AKA Ballena Bob.

heins57

Post by heins57 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:12 pm

^^^hahaha

SCLiner
Master Interwebs Master

Post by SCLiner » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 am

heins57 wrote:^^^hahaha
Ha no joke. :oops:
Lina'
AKA Ballena Bob.

strat212

Post by strat212 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Very interesting. It's not surprising that there is more than tradition that plays into (most) modern stringer-less skimboard production (with the exception of maui's). The effect of higher force on a thinner material is one difference between skimboards and surfboards that had never adequately crossed my mind. I'll have that much more to cram through my head next time I air drop.

cosmo334

Post by cosmo334 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 am

So how do you get the rocker into the foam without a stinger? Obviously the board has to have the rocker before being glassed, but HOW is it done?... YOU MUST LEARN

SCLiner
Master Interwebs Master

Post by SCLiner » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:02 pm

cosmo334 wrote:So how do you get the rocker into the foam without a stinger? Obviously the board has to have the rocker before being glassed, but HOW is it done?... YOU MUST LEARN
Really?
It's put in during the glassing stage on a skim, on a surfboard it's shaped in.
Lina'
AKA Ballena Bob.

daver

Post by daver » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:21 pm

vacuum mold and a bunch of other disposable shit. peel ply, breather/ absorbing layer, mastic and big strong saran wrap. throw all that shit together and you got a skimboard. its easy. just ask tommer.
Queen of the Valley

square

Post by square » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:00 am

word...

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting on my square tail, squash nose Baker board you promised me, Daver.

daver

Post by daver » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:24 am

still in the making. my factory workers are all on strike. that would be a squaker.
Queen of the Valley