what the hell is the science behind sideslipping?

Porkchop

what the hell is the science behind sideslipping?

Post by Porkchop » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 am

whhhhat is it? and how do the pros beast out a quarter mile out and then shhhhepwackkk!?

strat212

Re: what the hell is the science behind sideslipping?

Post by strat212 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:28 pm

From what I understand:

While the rocker gives a board it's characteristic handling capabilities, it slows the board down when planing. People sideslip in order to present a uniform, relatively flat surface to the water, thus reducing drag. One sideslips (turning the board sideways) because the middle of your board is the intersection of the nose and tail rocker and is therefore relatively flat.

heins57

Post by heins57 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Aim just going to wait for square take on this

selvaskim

Post by selvaskim » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:29 pm

quite simple really, when you turn your board sideways you create a vortex or "whirlpool" underneath the surface of the water. this vortex acts as a reverse resistance system, preventing you from sinking into the water. you can increase the effect of this system by turning into and out of a sideslip a maximum of 3 times, exploiting the so called "combination effect". It is possible to perform a 3x sideslip and subsequently begin to pump your board nose up and down. This is very difficult to do but allows you to maximize your board's distance quotient.

heins57

Post by heins57 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:56 pm

^ :shock:

Porkchop

Post by Porkchop » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:46 pm

thanks guuuuys and lol whirpool effect? 3 times? wow. haha. I was asking cuz am looking for a board. just bought an exile domke rocker. stoked

alexM.

Post by alexM. » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:32 pm

selvaskim wrote:quite simple really, when you turn your board sideways you create a vortex or "whirlpool" underneath the surface of the water. this vortex acts as a reverse resistance system, preventing you from sinking into the water. you can increase the effect of this system by turning into and out of a sideslip a maximum of 3 times, exploiting the so called "combination effect". It is possible to perform a 3x sideslip and subsequently begin to pump your board nose up and down. This is very difficult to do but allows you to maximize your board's distance quotient.

haha win

daver

Post by daver » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:54 am

turn sideways. go far. although chi town is a pumper and he gets out a quarter mile too. no science there. run fast. get on smooth. go far. (oh yeah, lose some weight too) ask potter about the all rice diet.
Queen of the Valley

daver

Post by daver » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:55 am

theres no fucking vortex by the way. just the one in selvas head that created that theory ;)
Queen of the Valley

SCLiner
Master Interwebs Master

Post by SCLiner » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm with 57 on this one. :shock: LOL.
Lina'
AKA Ballena Bob.

heins57

Post by heins57 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Cant take it just got to type tonight after cleaning up the computer , seeing Dustin elbo making like a wishbone snap and all.. Now getting back to side slip what i found is that the more leading edge you got meeting the water as you side slip the more lift you have. Kind of like comparing a wide car tire which naturally doesnt have tread to a car tire which is narrow, give the water more edge to work with is better. 57 inch is a perfect length to have because if you have to much then it works against you, if you have to little then you might as well give up. Soooooo just do it right from there and she will love you. :roll:

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:35 pm

The science is yo ass has to be perfectly lined up with the beach, and you let one out after a solid black bean burrito it creates a vortex of wtf man!!! :shock: and that is the science son...

SCLiner
Master Interwebs Master

Post by SCLiner » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:00 pm

shred2kook wrote:The science is yo ass has to be perfectly lined up with the beach, and you let one out after a solid black bean burrito it creates a vortex of wtf man!!! :shock: and that is the science son...

Phoooooot! :oops:
Lina'
AKA Ballena Bob.

heins57

Post by heins57 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:04 pm

^^^^^ hahahahhahah cough cough o man my dinner , iam rolling here! so funny

SCLiner
Master Interwebs Master

Post by SCLiner » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:47 am

No wonder the beach smells like it does with everyone trying to sideslip out really far, phoot. :shock:
Lina'
AKA Ballena Bob.

square

Post by square » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:20 am

Dayuum

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:42 pm

All jokes aside, last session my board was going sideways so I started going with the flow and try to 360 during my run, I felt like it was starting to give me the sensations for side sweeping, anybody ever witnessed that?

Also (if I may) I spotted Selva last time at Montara, the boy has been practicing, you've made a lot of progress dude if you dont mind hearing that from frog cook!:)

Side sweeping is def some weird shit, I was watching a vid the other day, and from now on I call it "pulling a Jesus" coz it really looks like you're walking on water

potter

Post by potter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:31 pm

No question. Selva is most improved skimmer in norcal for sure over the last year. Wait till the bff takes hold and look out

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Always good to see people pushing it!:)
potter wrote:No question. Selva is most improved skimmer in norcal for sure over the last year. Wait till the bff takes hold and look out