Newb here looking for help.

Monday

Newb here looking for help.

Post by Monday » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Hey Guys,
First off I wanted to say awesome webpage. I have been spending the last few hours exploring the different sections. You guys have a wealth of information and seems like a great smaller community with a good group of guys.

I wanted to signup to get some info from the experts in my area ;). I am completely new to the sport and just picked up a victoria woody to start learning the basics. Then once I get confident in sand skimming I will be upgrading to a board I can start trying waves on.

My question is where is a close place to start with great sand for beginning. I have searched the forums and only found suggestion was hmb and capitola. I visited capitola this weekend but the shoreline seemed so over ran with tourists that i didn't give it a try as kids were everywhere. I noticed there were better breaks a bit south but the sand seemed the have ping pong sized pebbles ever foot or so. I live in downtown sf(SOMA) so i was hoping something closer to the city. I have read great things about bakers for wave stuff but didnt know if flatland was good there and if trying to learn there I would be in the way of more experienced people trying to get runs in.

Any help would be great or tips you may have.

Thank you!
Ryan

selvaskim

Re: Newb here looking for help.

Post by selvaskim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Ryan, don't worry about getting in anybody's way around here, we are all friendly and will gladly offer some tips if we meet you on the beach. Baker will have some sand sliding opportunities most of the time, the left side of the beach is generally more flat than the right so you can start there. Although the entire beach may be flat at this point I'm not sure, haven't been there in a while. Ocean beach is even flatter and is good for learning (as long as it isn't gusting 30mph w). You are going to outgrow that woody very quickly if you dedicate some time to this sport so I would recommend being on the lookout for an upgrade sooner rather than later. Craigslist is a good place to look, there is also a used sporting good store in the city that carries skims but the name escapes me at the moment.

Get out to baker, ob, graywhale, montara, etc at or near a low tide and there should be sufficient flat ground for you to slide around on. hurry up and get to wave riding though, that's the best part!

Madinator6

Post by Madinator6 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:11 am

Looking back on when I first started, this is what I'd recommend as far as learning/progressing:

1. Get comfortable sliding around with the woody
2. Once you have that ^ balance then buy either a used or less expensive board that's still of quality. Also checkout https://www.facebook.com/SquareSkimboards (Square Skimboards) and http://www.cramikskim.com/baker_skims/index1.htm (Baker Skimboards). These guys are both local, and can help you with pretty much everything. You could also run by Prooflab and Bodega Bay Surf Shack.
3. Learn to get on the board correctly. Hit up YouTube and watch tons of skimboarding videos. See how they get on the board running at full speed pretty much right when they drop it?
4. Obviously the best way to get better is by doing and watching others.
5. Contests are also a great way to get involved. During the summer there's 3 contests (Cramik Cup, Skimbash, and Senseless). The dates aren't yet set so just check back with the Cramik forum.
6. Familiarize yourself with tides, swell charts, etc. (The homepage of Cramikskim.com has links to those resources)

See you out there!

Monday

Post by Monday » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:08 am

Wow guys thanks for the great advice!

I figured I would grow out of the woody pretty fast but may be worth getting the basics down. I moved back to my home state after being in Texas the past 9 years, where i did regular wake surfing. So I figure some of that skill set and balance will translate somehow.

Looking at boards, I was looking at my first real board being a square, as I do like supporting local and also so he was an active member in this community which is a huge plus to me. Didnt know about Baker I will have to look at them too!

Now a follow up newb question to Baker. Since I keep a busy schedule during the week and still would like to get out. Is showing up at 6-615 am crazy? And for starting attire what would you suggest? I have a full 4/3 ripcurl ebomb suit, but i assume that is a bit overkill for sand sliding in 54 degree weather? What attire would you suggest where I am not freezing considering this SF weather and the early time?

Thanks again for the help!
-Ryan
Last edited by Monday on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potter

Post by potter » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:08 pm

6 AM is not crazy, it's the only smart time right now since it's been blowing out every day starting at 9. I think you'll be fine with the 4/3 that early in the morn, it'll be cold out. A 3/2 would probably suit you better, but you'll be skimming waves soon and it'll be winter soon, so no need to rush out and get new gear. Plus, the thickness of the 4/3 will help out with protecting you if you fall. If you get too hot just go for a swim.

Monday

Post by Monday » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:57 am

potter wrote:6 AM is not crazy, it's the only smart time right now since it's been blowing out every day starting at 9. I think you'll be fine with the 4/3 that early in the morn, it'll be cold out. A 3/2 would probably suit you better, but you'll be skimming waves soon and it'll be winter soon, so no need to rush out and get new gear. Plus, the thickness of the 4/3 will help out with protecting you if you fall. If you get too hot just go for a swim.
Thanks for the advice potter! I did make it out this morning and had some fun doing some slides for about 20 mins before the tide started rising and hitting the pebble line.

The hard part for me is finding the right amount of water level. I am not running super fast yet (because i don't want to eat shit without getting the balance right) but seems like every thing over an inch my board sinks. I am sure some of that has to do with how I am getting on? Or is that just the way woods work (I know they aren't very buoyant)? I am 195 lbs and got the XL so weight range should be right. From reading i am "stepping" on the back of the board back first towards the back of the board then other foot towards mid-front.

Regardless enjoyed the sunrise and view.

-Ryan

heins57

Post by heins57 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:24 pm

find a local buy beer and diinner and maybe wait for input