Cramik Cup Stop #4 thread

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Cramik Cup Stop #4 thread

Post by Deebo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:58 am

Well I guess it's time to at least open up the discussion for this one. Looks like the Cove is pretty likely to be the spot, since it's setup and been providing some good days lately. I'm hoping that one of these Saturdays in August will have some nice hot weather, with good tides and dub forecast. This weekend's looking out of the question, but the following Saturday the 10th could be the day maybe. Stay tuned....

crass

Re: Cramik Cup Stop #4 thread

Post by crass » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:56 pm

why is this weekend out of the question?

t-bone

Post by t-bone » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:25 pm

deebo, you can't do it on outside lands weekend which is the 10th! Any other weekend in august I would say is legit but don't call it on the 9th for the love of music!!!

selvaskim

Post by selvaskim » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:44 pm

24th or 31st will be fire, book it.

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:34 pm

Looks like some little action out of the nw for next week end, still early to know...

daver

Post by daver » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:56 pm

book it deebo. if you can't make it, consider it your drop. you know I want the 10th. see you at wrights!
Queen of the Valley

heins57

Post by heins57 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:44 pm

10th

Shibby38

Post by Shibby38 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:40 pm

oh okay... real cool. wait for when im outta town and have a contest at the cove. nice. pfft! ;)

chris_4255

Post by chris_4255 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:56 pm

ok first of all we have had several chances to have it but SOMEONE (deebo) decides to go backpacking instead. this weekend would not be cool. why you ask? wyatt is going to the east coast to the am world championship. the guy is following his dream and i support it. so im calling bull shit plain and simple. the fact that he gets to call a second cramikcup event out here in the same year is well not cool. i live out here he lives in santa rosa plain and simple. so sorry dustin i love ya but no not this weekend. sorry for the language and all kids.
just say no to dub

wyatt c.

Post by wyatt c. » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:39 am

I'm with Chris on this one! If there is anyway to wait it out until The 17th I would be very stoked. I wouldnt mind an excuse to get up to Bodega and as Chris stated Im headed East tomorrow. I understand if you cant postpone it, but I would love to make it up there for stop #4

selvaskim

Post by selvaskim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:33 pm

chris_4255 wrote:ok first of all we have had several chances to have it but SOMEONE (deebo) decides to go backpacking instead. this weekend would not be cool. why you ask? wyatt is going to the east coast to the am world championship. the guy is following his dream and i support it. so im calling bull shit plain and simple. the fact that he gets to call a second cramikcup event out here in the same year is well not cool. i live out here he lives in santa rosa plain and simple. so sorry dustin i love ya but no not this weekend. sorry for the language and all kids.

love the enthusiasm chris, we all should be fired up for the cup!

Don't take the host thing personally, we were supposed to pick different hosts for each event but I didn't notice until you brought it up, mistake on my part.

As for not holding the event due to one person being out of town, I don't think it should work that way. Potter has missed an event, Square, Heinz, and Thomas have as well. This isn't the Wyatt Cup, the Potter Cup, Square Cup, etc.., it's the Cramik Cup, people are going to miss events and that is that. Favoritism should not factor into an event being called. As evidenced by his comment it seems that Wyatt understands this.

We have 4 weekends left, plenty of time for Deebo and yourself to collaborate and pick the best date.

p.s. good luck Wyatt, i'm sure you'll kill it as usual

daver

Post by daver » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:24 pm

what selva said. I appreciate the passion and the lobbying for one another. However, we all have other obligations, whether they are skim related or not. You didn't hear anyone on my behalf when I couldn't make the first event. well tough shit for me. chris, you of all people should be happy now that you are officially "in the money". This my friend is the true spirit of cramik "ism". overcoming adversity. hamstringing my friend. I recall a wiffle ball game against potter and hill. me and potter in the thick of battle in a three way tourney to the death. here comes Hill, the sleeper, and ousts us both. may I remind you that this is not the last event. (by a long shot) (btw is the normal cramfest integrated as part of cram cup or is it a separate event?) so count your blessings if the event is this weekend and wyatt can't show. and count your points gained as well. this is warfare my friend. not a fair fight if we can help it. Home field advantage for Houseball! So if it is this weekend and 2 people show up, then fuck it! points baby!
Queen of the Valley

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:32 am

chris_4255 wrote:ok first of all we have had several chances to have it but SOMEONE (deebo) decides to go backpacking instead. this weekend would not be cool. why you ask? wyatt is going to the east coast to the am world championship. the guy is following his dream and i support it. so im calling bull shit plain and simple. the fact that he gets to call a second cramikcup event out here in the same year is well not cool. i live out here he lives in santa rosa plain and simple. so sorry dustin i love ya but no not this weekend. sorry for the language and all kids.

Chris I hear you that it definitely may not be fair I was chosen to call a second event, but don't worry you'll get your big chance someday when you grow up a little more and maybe get a little more experience on analyzing forecast and predicting conditions under your belt! :wink: However, let's not forget that the first Bodega event I hosted I did not compete in because of that stupid ass broken arm, which also bothered me in the HMB event (couldn't swim, couldn't charge). Not really complaining though as it's a pretty fair points spread with almost everyone having a no show dropped event, so far anyway. Wait...I don't think you have missed one yet right???? Regardless I think it's safe to say if anybody's getting screwed it's definitely not you, so try to remain calm. I am really sorry though that I live in ghetto SR an hour away from the beach because my parents won't let me live or even rent from them anymore damn it! :cry: Living the closest to the beach as you do seriously doesn't make you anymore entitled and reaaaaally, doesn't mean jack shit except that maybe you should be the best around :?

Anyway as far as us already having several realistic chances to hold the event so far I don't agree. I've been checking forecasts carefully every week and monitoring sand setups (regardless of if I ended up being around or not), and honestly there hasn't really been a Saturday that looked like a shoe-in so far. If there was I would have called the event on and not went to the mountains because the beach and skimming is my number one love. There's been some ok weekends though I know that could have gone either way and one or maybe two ok Saturdays that actually ended up being fun or at least I heard from you was fun (I was out of town and missed it). But regardless that one opportunity didn't look that for sure according to the forecasts and it would have been way to iffy IMO to call, especially considering the lackluster conditions we've had in the Cup Events so far. I mean I'm really trying to hold out to score an epic weekend, which typically is more likely the closer we get to the end of summer and early fall.

That's super cool Wyatt is heading to the East Coast for the AM championship even though I think he's good enough to do the whole UST tour. I wish him all the best in that real contest though, which I'm sure is much more important to him and his skim career than the Cramik Cup. Either way I can assure you I'm avoiding any sort of bias or possible points advantage over him or anybody in deciding of when to hold the contest (I think I'm way too far behind him in points where it would be pointless to try anything anyway lol). It's definitely all about getting good conditions as it should be. People can bitch about not being able to make an event for whatever reason, but the Cup host should not be influenced either way by who can and can make it. Ideally we'd have paid hosts and judges who are not also competitors :idea: , but that's slightly out of the budget at this point I think :?:

Obviously it's far from a perfect system, but I don't think anyone's really trying to take advantage of it and or take it too seriously so far, except maybe you lol (not that it's a bad thing to be competitive). The cup is still in it's early trial stages and your I'm sure input is much appreciated by the Cramik Hierarchy, which will try to make precise and fully effective future improvements. But overall let's not forget that the important thing about the Cramcup is to get all of us weird, crazy ass norcal skim guys together where we can have some competitive, but not to competitive fun more often. Who know's though maybe someday it will actually sprout into a more serious and disciplined skim tour that will attract the masses. I'm not necessarily opposed to that. :twisted:
Last edited by Deebo on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris_4255

Post by chris_4255 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:46 am

do what you gotta do.on a different note ive felt like the heats are so long sometimes ya just forget if someone got a wave because there is so much going on. so what im thinking is not a points system but noted system. example someone get a wave sweet thats a check mark. you get fat front side slash another check mark and so on. you do a pop shuvit on flat land well thats cool cramik doesnt count those haha.
just say no to dub

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:55 am

^I like that idea, but I'm also torn because that would stray from the long standing Cramik staple of judging format based solely on "overall impression". It's seems stupidly simple, but at the same time there is some genius to it and some serious strategies that can come into play. I know I've been to a number of pro skim contests or watched surf contests where it seems like the true winner of the heat got lost in all of the scoring/tabulation stuff.

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:40 am

The more I think about it the more I like your idea because it definitely has been an issue trying to remember earlier important rides in the heat that kind of got lost in the chaos. Maybe the judging could stay as "overall impression" in general, but the judges are recommended to use the "noted" system as a reference to not forget important rides that went down and help reach a common agreement on the placing in the end. Could come in especially handy when things get a little blurry during certain close call scenarios like tie breakers and stuff. Maybe a very distinguishable mark to help remember somebody who is responsible for a blatant snake move.

chris_4255

Post by chris_4255 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:36 am

a note/mark can definitely help with the less skilled and shows that they tried harder. on a side note i woke up to this thought- you can not be a master forcaster the forcast is your master. (click on the pic i cant get the gif to play haha)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
just say no to dub

potter

Post by potter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:21 pm

unreal discussion on the scrill! I'm digging it. Seriously, not sure I can remember an actual intelligent discussion in the history...

Anyway, just 2 points I wanted to comment on:

1. There is nothing against using the same host for 2 events in the rules. If you had a problem with that you should have complained when the rules were first posted. I still don't have a problem with it. Everyone that has been selected as a host has been done so because they could be trusted on trying to do the best for the event. Sure, some of the forecasts haven't worked out, but it's been a shitty year for skim in general. In any event, i haven't seen anything go down for personal gain. To conclude, I think Deebo has earned the right to host every fucking event, Bodega or not, for cramik cup and his ethics are above questioning as far as I'm concerned.

2. Scoring suggestion is interesting. No changes mid-stream, but something to consider for '14

selvaskim

Post by selvaskim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Yea potter is correcto, I thought we couldn't have the same host for each event but got that confused with not using the same beach for different events.

But yes I agree, Deebo has earned every bit of his hosting honors and your issue should have been raised at the beginning of the event window.

heins57

Post by heins57 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:08 pm

I have done my fair share in competition and always sort of struggle with the over all impression versus competition scoring system. I would have to say both the Cramikfest and the Cup would have had a different outcome on my judgment. I speak solely for myself. None the less as Potter stated time and time again that these events are a bunch of guys who love skimboarding at the very least coming together(Cramikfestparty for sure). If we go to a point system thing will get ugly feelings get hurt attitude develops and pretty soon you are going full swing in the opposite direction. Swing the other way you find people like Square, in my book is a Very good skimboarder but doesnt seem to move very well in the cramikfest/Cup, I think everyone would agree to that. Still here we are again back to making some sort of productive ground on the sport. After all it’s how we all move the sport forward that really counts.

When i make trophies for the Cramikfest its because its a privilege to do so and it brings me great joy to see all you guys competing to Win to get a trophy, i figure just the same the guy whom host the Cup would /should feel the same.

As far as choosing the host well open up a time frame say 2 weeks after a Cup, naturally the guy hosting has to have some now how from there draw a number from those whom would like to host. Maybe even run something by on the scrilla for votes. In any case the freedom of choice i believe will reflect a common ground within the cramik community.

Just my 10cents

P.s . Dustin , Skimming the Baker Cramik I couldn’t raise my arm above my shoulder while taking a handful of ibprofren so I feel man. Good luck with the arm.