Cramik Cup Stop #4 thread

daver

Re: Cramik Cup Stop #4 thread

Post by daver » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:41 pm

sunday and Monday were fun as well. dub held out most of the day.
Queen of the Valley

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:07 am

Nice! I saw it on Friday afternoon and it looked setup pretty good. Almost skimmed it, but it looked like a little too much dub for me. Glad you guys got it fun though!!!

potter

Post by potter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:46 am

2 weekends left Deebo! Which way is the dub blowing?

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:29 am

Haha well this weekend is looking dubby as of now, but that could change over the next couple days. I'll keep you posted...

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:39 pm

I know it's a long shot, but I'm monitoring that typhoon of the coast of Japan, could send us some loooong period small/medium swell that could turn into epic skim, if the w is right...but again it's a long shot I just like making predictions way ahead of time

potter

Post by potter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Today being Wednesday and all, it looks like we're not going to get the call tonight for this weekend. That leaves one last weekend. The question that Andres has to answer is this, do we have the event no matter what next Saturday?
-What if conditions are crap?
-Or, since it's technically a waiting period event, is it possible for time to lapse and there was just no event for this period?
-How does the point system?
-Or, do we let it run into the next period and just play it by ear with HMB having priority if they try to run on the same weekend? Or do we back to back it with HMB one day and Bodega the next? That would be crazy.

selvaskim

Post by selvaskim » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:22 pm

I think we have to run an event. That being the case we have to start considering options if the forecast for next weekend looks unskimmable. If conditions look somewhat skimmable we should run it anyway, conditions at the HMB event were pretty dismal but we made it work, and it seems like bodega has had a couple solid weekends with no contest call so it's not like the contest couldn't have been run in the allowed window.

IF it looks like there will be nothing to skim next weekend then we can talk about what we do next. Maybe there isn't an event this period and solid showings at the last two events become critical for those in the hunt. Maybe we hold two events in the next window with HMB having priority like you said. I'm unsure at the moment so let's just hope the skim gods grant us fire next weekend.

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Well yeah this weekend is looking like crap still (probably even dub in the morning, rare for this time of year), so I'm calling a no go for sure :cry: . I like some of Potter's ideas, but I don't think it would be fair to the rules and grand scheme of the Cup to try and push it into the next period. We could just not run it, but that would be lame not to try and I've got a good feeling that the last weekend (the 31st) of the waiting period will not be crap at least. I mean it's rare this time of year to get 2 bad weekends in a row and I think we can find something fun.

I do definitely hate to leave it to the very end though, with it basically being a roll of the dice, but I was trying to hold out for a guaranteed solid conditions Saturday. Honestly don't think we've had that opportunity out of the 7 Saturdays possible so far or the forecast at least didn't look that promising for those weekends. Anyway there's a bunch of beaches and options in the Bodega area that are setup and have been fun this week. Cove has been good, Portuguese and even Salmon. We really just need that dub to cooperate though, which I think our chances are that it will for the morning hours of the 31st at the very least. I'll keep everybody posted and up to date next week...

Samuel Jackson

Post by Samuel Jackson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:36 pm

I can't skim this weekend really so we shouldn't hold it brahs

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:42 pm

I have a feeling the 31st could be really fun indeed, but I haven't participated so my opinion really doesn't count...just thinking about you guys having more fun!:)
Deebo wrote: I've got a good feeling that the last weekend (the 31st) of the waiting period will not be crap at least.

heins57

Post by heins57 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Mavericks has a floating sort of thing and the waves didn't work out so they didn't have the contest. Just saying. Also it would suck because the point is to have a contest to get us skimmers together right? So what happens if it happens again it is a product of where we live. Is there an obligation to have the contest if the skim is say a 7 out 10 day? Needless to say but aim sure plenty of us had to compete in crappy skim, you know the show must go on sort of thing. My final say if it counts pass the event. Treat it like you would if people can't make it. Just the way things go.

selvaskim

Post by selvaskim » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Long range dub forecast looking good. Tides look ok. Long range swell forecast? Anyone with a surfline premium account?

Saturday 08-31
Sunrise 0641, Sunset 1942
Moonrise 0217, Moonset 1643
Low Tide: 0317 0.7
High Tide: 1047 4.6
Low Tide: 1510 2.8
High Tide: 2126 5.6

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Yeah if we end up having it at the Cove and there's decent swell then it would be more ideal to have a little higher tide in the 5-6ft range, but if it stays smaller size the tide will be fine with the current slope setup there. Probably could skim all day if no dub. Portuguese could have skim the whole day with those tides too. Right now the dub forecast is looking bad this Friday through at least next Wednesday, which makes me very optimistic that it will turn around for next weekend. I mean it's extremely rare that it would be dubby for more than that many consecutive days this time of year. If it was looking super calm early next week than I'd be worried. Check the dub forecast I'm looking at below:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.i ... gionID=163

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 am

from swellwatch (updated forecast tomorrow):

"The NW w's will pick up some along the coast over the weekend and prevail throughout he middle of next week.
Saturday the 24th, southern hemi swell will begin to back off meaning more ankle to waist high surf at standouts. W-NW exposures will probably continue to run knee to chest with the windswell.

Late next week some longer-period energy from both hemispheres.

Looking a little further out, Typhoon Pewa is now located just E of Wake Island. Its still much too early to tell, but the models are suggesting some long-period W swell for the end of next week if the system can pull itself together."

(hard to count on swell could arrive earlier like Wednesday never know but could be fun if arrives for the week end of 31st).

heins57

Post by heins57 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:34 am

That's some serious crystal ball work there.

ozzy

Post by ozzy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 am

I predict it will be held on aug 31 without interruption!!!!

shred2kook

Post by shred2kook » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Yeah definitely! From my experience you never know until the D-day, I have seen picture perfect swells on paper and nothing working when that day came, and vice et versa, days when you don't expect anything really exciting and it ends up beeing fun...just trying to share what I'have been reading, you guys make the cal,l anyway!
heins57 wrote:That's some serious crystal ball work there.

chris_4255

Post by chris_4255 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:53 am

now now dustin you weren't around every weekend like i was and there was a weekend it could of been called. i'm not blaming you though because the forecasts where not being the most accurate. the weather out here has been hinting of fall like conditions. ITS THE FINAL COUNT DOWN!
just say no to dub

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:21 am

chris_4255 wrote:now now dustin you weren't around every weekend like i was and there was a weekend it could of been called. i'm not blaming you though because the forecasts where not being the most accurate. the weather out here has been hinting of fall like conditions. ITS THE FINAL COUNT DOWN!
Yes I know or at least I heard there were a couple Saturdays that probably would have been fun and worthy conditions, but once again, like I said, the forecast a few days before those weekends didn't really look promising enough to call the Cup on IMO (especially reflecting on the mediocre conditions we've had at the events so far this year).

IDK those shoe in, easily predictable days seem few and far between the last few years I think or maybe I'm just being too picky and expecting too much, hoping that one of those days happens to fall on one of the 8 Saturdays in 60 day waiting period. Not the best odds really, but somehow we scored quite a few previous Cramikfests in Bodega in yesteryears when the event weekend was called blindly way in advance. Probably helped that we held it in fall prime time though.

BTW where were you a couple evenings this week when Salmon was actually super fun????

Deebo
Master Forecaster

Post by Deebo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:31 am

shred2kook wrote:from swellwatch (updated forecast tomorrow):

"The NW w's will pick up some along the coast over the weekend and prevail throughout he middle of next week.
Saturday the 24th, southern hemi swell will begin to back off meaning more ankle to waist high surf at standouts. W-NW exposures will probably continue to run knee to chest with the windswell.

Late next week some longer-period energy from both hemispheres.

Looking a little further out, Typhoon Pewa is now located just E of Wake Island. Its still much too early to tell, but the models are suggesting some long-period W swell for the end of next week if the system can pull itself together."

(hard to count on swell could arrive earlier like Wednesday never know but could be fun if arrives for the week end of 31st).
The thing about Bodega in general though, that makes it differ from alot of other skim areas, is that it actually is usually better when the swell is minimal. It's pretty exposed for the most part, so it picks up swells easy and when the swell starts to pick up too much the good sand setups for skim tend to get washed out or it will just be too out of control and far out to skim.

Smaller clean long period swells can be good though and there are some exceptions. Like if it's been small for a while certain places like the Cove and sometimes Wright's or Salmon will build up a pretty steep slope that can take advantage of the first few bigger swells we get before the beach gets flattened out. Unfortunately for the 31st the high tide in the morning isn't a super high one, so I'm kind of hoping for minimal swell to run it at the Cove, unless it's looking like no dub all day and we can run it for the higher evening tide. That would be interesting.