[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4493: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression'
cramikskim.com • View topic - Cramik Cup Stop #4 thread

Subscribe in a reader

cramikskim.com

scrilla
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:08 pm 

Someone get ahold of square and the winch and have a winch skimfest cramik cup naturally. Haha aim going left yells one guy another yells aim going right and the winch motor begins. Stay tune tomorrow for undesirable outcome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:36 pm 

I was helping my dad that has Parkinson's and doesn't have a legal car to drive right now. So yeah life isn't perfect. You know I skim every time I can so don't call me out on skimming on here when I don't. Its like me telling you not to sleep and skim when you work grave yard shift. By the way where is your surf shack decal on your car after getting that great deal on that suit. You are on the shop team.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:45 pm 

Yeah that kinda what I figured, that said this swell should be really soft, if even reaching the coast, that's why I was picturing some long period small energy with no other swell in the water that could turn epic out there, I don't expect the surf to be good on that particular swell at all, just dreaming about about calm conditions with perfect smooth shorebreak. Once again that's you guys call I'm just intruding the tread coz I'm a swell map fanatic :)

Deebo wrote:
shred2kook wrote:
from swellwatch (updated forecast tomorrow):

"The NW w's will pick up some along the coast over the weekend and prevail throughout he middle of next week.
Saturday the 24th, southern hemi swell will begin to back off meaning more ankle to waist high surf at standouts. W-NW exposures will probably continue to run knee to chest with the windswell.

Late next week some longer-period energy from both hemispheres.

Looking a little further out, Typhoon Pewa is now located just E of Wake Island. Its still much too early to tell, but the models are suggesting some long-period W swell for the end of next week if the system can pull itself together."

(hard to count on swell could arrive earlier like Wednesday never know but could be fun if arrives for the week end of 31st).

The thing about Bodega in general though, that makes it differ from alot of other skim areas, is that it actually is usually better when the swell is minimal. It's pretty exposed for the most part, so it picks up swells easy and when the swell starts to pick up too much the good sand setups for skim tend to get washed out or it will just be too out of control and far out to skim.

Smaller clean long period swells can be good though and there are some exceptions. Like if it's been small for a while certain places like the Cove and sometimes Wright's or Salmon will build up a pretty steep slope that can take advantage of the first few bigger swells we get before the beach gets flattened out. Unfortunately for the 31st the high tide in the morning isn't a super high one, so I'm kind of hoping for minimal swell to run it at the Cove, unless it's looking like no dub all day and we can run it for the higher evening tide. That would be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:20 pm 

We just have have to time it right with the swell. I could see extended Rounds if that's cool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:42 am 

Quote:
now now dustin you weren't around every weekend like i was and there was a weekend it could of been called. i'm not blaming you though because the forecasts where not being the most accurate. the weather out here has been hinting of fall like conditions. ITS THE FINAL COUNT DOWN!

oh you mean like the weekend Wyatt was out of town?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:16 pm 

thats right he did. to go compete in another skim contest.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:17 pm 

Most likely no typhoon swell, mostly short period knee-chest high nw swell, and knee to chest high south swell so far....nothing exciting really, hopefully better than last week end....looks like moderate onshore breeze so far.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:25 am 
Master Forecaster

I think that swell forecast looks pretty favorable for Bodega. It's a good size for both the Cove and Wright's. Unfortunately we had the last Bodega Bay event at Wright's, so even if it is really good, which it very well could be (was setup nice and fun this last weekend), it doesn't seem like it's an option according to the original rules :| .

I personally think the rule that "we can't have repeating venues" is kind of flawed simply because we only have a few select fickle skim spots in each general area and that combined with all the other variables needed to create good skim, we don't really have the liberty to be picky. I mean at this point we're kind of struggling to find a given weekend where it's going to be contestable at any of the available spots, so eliminating one of the three main spots in Bodega seems to be very limiting. I think maybe the original idea and concern in favor of the rule was probably based on past annual Cramik events where the Cove was the repeating spot every time and people wanted a change. Opinions anybody??

Back to the forecast; like "shred2kook" stated the dub for Saturday is not looking good at this point, but I'm remaining optimistic it will change for the better as it's still to early in the week to have too much accuracy. Last week the forecast was calling for a super dubby weekend and it was Saturday, but Sunday ended up being glass all day. So anyway yeah let's hope it turns for the better. I really don't think we'll have a second Saturday in a row where it's going to be blown out in the morning...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:05 am 

The original idea behind the one and done for each spot was so we could have a 'tour' of each region and experience different beaches and wave types. I think everyone will be fine with having the event at wright's again if it is the best option available. I'm optimistic for an improved w forecast as the week progresses, it must get better!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:32 pm 

agreed. It had nothing to do with cramikfests at the cove.

Plus, I think wrights and lefts get an automatic exemption. If either of those are going to work, why go somewhere else?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:02 pm 

Rules are ment to be broken. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:21 pm 
Master Forecaster

selvaskim wrote:
The original idea behind the one and done for each spot was so we could have a 'tour' of each region and experience different beaches and wave types. I think everyone will be fine with having the event at wright's again if it is the best option available. I'm optimistic for an improved w forecast as the week progresses, it must get better!

Oh ok gotcha. I can understand that and definitely agree that it would be ideal, if possible, to run at a different venue each time in order to get the full variety of Norcal skim spots. Maybe next year we will have better luck with conditions cooperating. Also what if we were to allow Sundays as possible Cup Events as well? Obviously that would double the odds of scoring?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:58 am 

From Stormsurf:

Saturday
8/31 Holding NW 5+ early

Southern hemi background swell 2.2 ft @ 14-15 secs 3.0 ft 193 degrees
Gulf windswell 4 ft @ 9-10 secs 3.5 ft 302 degrees

so far dub forecast calls for 5mph am to early pm, but w charts look uglier:

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=ncal_wind

Good luck brothaz!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:12 am 

Deebo wrote:
Also what if we were to allow Sundays as possible Cup Events as well? Obviously that would double the odds of scoring?

That's already allowed under the current guidelines:
Quote:
All events run on Saturday, except for events not run on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:38 am 
Master Interwebs Master

Wait, CTS will be here next weekend.
Oh wait, the rules said "no waiting".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:17 am 

wait for....? Let's just say you don't have the greatest track record for showing up at cramik events. I think you're currently 0 for 12...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:03 pm 
Master Interwebs Master

True dat. :oops:
I'm trying tio get him on a road trip next weekend to come see you but dont hold your breath.
im on vacation from now till 9/9. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:08 pm 
Master Forecaster

potter wrote:
Deebo wrote:
Also what if we were to allow Sundays as possible Cup Events as well? Obviously that would double the odds of scoring?

That's already allowed under the current guidelines:
Quote:
All events run on Saturday, except for events not run on Saturday.

Haha yeah I do now recall that rule, which seems to be pushing for all events being on a Saturday unless we absolutely have to run on another day...Doesn't matter now for this Cup event I guess, since this Saturday is the last day of the waiting period. But we could have run last Sunday when it was glass all day and fun damn it!!! :cry: lol Was a hard day to call it on actually anyway

As far as this weekend, the dub forecasts are still all over the place, but I'm pretty confident we will be able to at least run at The Cove in the morning without dub being an issue. The high tide is at like 9:15am anyway, so we will need to get an early start if we run there. I didn't check the Cove today, but Chris did and said it was setup steep still with plenty of swell. Kind of junked up from the dub, but I think Saturday will be better with more swell on tap.

I skimmed Wright's this morning, which still had some sider action, but it was junkier than the other day and the tide got too low quick. Shorebreak was pretty fun for a bit also, but got too low for that as well.

So anyway it seems like the early morning high tide, which is not too high, is favorable for either the Cove or Wright's. At this point with the dub forecast I'm leaning towards the Cove just because it is less risky, as it seems to blow out later than Wright's. Either way I think it should be on for sure and we should make a decision, which we will post on Friday, on which beach to meet at. Sound good to everybody?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:29 pm 

oh my kids birthday is Saturday, we have to reschedule for sure....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:15 pm 

Birthday at the beach! I think you can sell that can't you?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next