[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4493: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression'
cramikskim.com • View topic - Snowboading Mendocino National Forest Video

Subscribe in a reader

cramikskim.com

scrilla
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:58 pm 
Master Forecaster

Not skimming, but kind of similar is this video edit I made of a recent solo snowboarding and camping trip I went on in case anybody wants to peep it:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:35 am 
Master Bator

That was really cool, you are living the life! The last run down to the water was sick, very skim like in that you are running over rocks ala lefts, lol.

Do you just eyeball those runs or do backcountry snowboarders share info on stuff like that? Either way nice video, looks so fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:20 pm 

love it! That looks like so much fun! I want in.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:39 pm 
Master Forecaster

The Flying Finn wrote:
That was really cool, you are living the life! The last run down to the water was sick, very skim like in that you are running over rocks ala lefts, lol.

Do you just eyeball those runs or do backcountry snowboarders share info on stuff like that? Either way nice video, looks so fun.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it man! Thanks again for the pics that you took at Wright's the other day too BTW. You got some goodies!

As far as the backcountry goes I've found, in my limited experience, that most people are pretty happy to share info on places. A lot of times people are seeking partners for safety/avalanche reasons and there's really no need to be too secretive with such vast mountains out there where there's all sorts of fresh snow to be had. There are some more popular and easily accessible places that can get crowded and tracked up, but a fun part of it for me is the exploration aspect and looking for new places off the beaten path.

This place in the video is one of those places where I've only heard of a couple guys ever skiing it and I think this last season I was maybe the only one to actually ride it. Being out there alone kind of adds to the excitement and is kind of nerve racking because it is not the kind of place you want to get hurt by yourself. For that reason I kept it conservative and really scouted for safer runs even though there is some epic stuff I could have hit.

Potter- It would be sick to ride there or anywhere with you for that matter next snow season. This spot you don't even really need a splitboard usually because it's too steep where the snow is to ski up anyway. I ended up hiking for everything in that video.

Oh also being a skimmer and all you might be into hitting up this sick spot where I'm going this weekend near south lake tahoe (click the link for more pictures):

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15595

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:41 am 
Master Interwebs Master

F-ing sick.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:44 pm 

wow put the excitment back into cramik land. Right up there with "Into the Wild" stuff. agree last vid of the rocks and trees ending in the water was a classic"hes going down on this one moment" lol. Super impressed, SC can you feel your knees hurting yet!! lol Thats got to be some hiking. Keep it up Dustin, Naturally send more vid for the lazy people.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:21 pm 
Master Interwebs Master

My knees still hurt from Cabo.
How frigging long is the hike up.
Place looks totally sick, nice stuff Dustin.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:05 am 

Vicarious! Great stuff Boone! Thanks for the video adventure. Love that you go solo. Live it up brother.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:29 pm 

Just stopped in after a 6month+ cramik-less stint and this is what I find!! That's got to be the coolest thing I've seen on this site. Props for doing that solo too, but if you're ever going again, I'm in. Goes to show skimboarders can lead varied and interesting lives, and I'm glad you saw fit to share an awesome part of yours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:00 am 
Master Forecaster

Hey thanks very much for the kind words everybody!

Seems like some of you may be referring to that snowboard pond skimming pics above, in which case just for the record that was actually not me. I did just finally make a trip there and hit that spot up though. Soooooo much fun and not that hard once you commit to it. Anyway it is something you have to try and do if you skim and snowboard. The spot is named "The Fountain of Youth" for good reason. Here's a couple pics and a video of me from the trip to the spot:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:15 am 
Master Forecaster

SCLiner wrote:
My knees still hurt from Cabo.
How frigging long is the hike up.
Place looks totally sick, nice stuff Dustin.

Haha the hike to the spot in the first video is a couple miles to get to the peak and then after each run you're hiking anywhere from 600 to 1000 steep vertical feet if you go all the way to the lake. To get to that pond skim spot it's like a 7 mile hike and 2,000 vertical feet up from the beginning of the trailhead. We backpacked like 5 miles in, camped and then did the remaining 2 miles and thousand feet up, so it wasn't too difficult. The scenery getting there is pretty awesome too, which helps the motivation.

strat212 wrote:
Just stopped in after a 6month+ cramik-less stint and this is what I find!! That's got to be the coolest thing I've seen on this site. Props for doing that solo too, but if you're ever going again, I'm in. Goes to show skimboarders can lead varied and interesting lives, and I'm glad you saw fit to share an awesome part of yours.

Thanks for the props man! Variety is pretty necessary for my own sanity I think. If I was just dependent on skimming and waves (kind of like I used to be), I'd probably be pretty depressed because let's be honest the north coast is an incredibly fickle place. Even if it was good all the time like Laguna I think it would be easy to burn out on it anyway. I mean I still love skimming fun waves just as much as I always have, but it's hard on the body as I get older and I've maybe gotten a little more picky with conditions. Either way I've found hiking and riding the mountains to be a pretty good compliment to the beach bum lifestyle, especially with how the timing of the seasons and conditions usually work out (if one's not good the other usually is). Always something fun out there to do..