UFC Liddel v Couture 3 *vid* from Saturday

The Flying Finn
Master Bator

UFC Liddel v Couture 3 *vid* from Saturday

Post by The Flying Finn » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:23 am

This should be called 'extremely mediocre skilled boxers championship' - good knockout though.

http://rapidshare.de/files/12602784/UFC_57.zip.html
When the going gets tough the tough go skimboarding.

Matt5000

Re: UFC Liddel v Couture 3 *vid* from Saturday

Post by Matt5000 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:37 pm

Paige Collins wrote:This should be called 'extremely mediocre skilled boxers championship' - good knockout though.

http://rapidshare.de/files/12602784/UFC_57.zip.html
As a licensed boxing judge I agree that this would be mediocre boxing, but this sport is not boxing. You can't set your feet the same way as a normal boxing match because there are so many other techniques involved. If you set your feet the proper way to throw a punch or combo you most likely will get taken to the ground. UFC fighters and thai kickboxers have to worry about other techniques, not just punches. It's those other techniques that make those sports much more entertaining and practical than boxing. Just look at the klichko(Sp?) brothers. They are/were both top 10 Heavyweight boxers and even the champ for a second or two, but they only concentated on boxing after failing as kickboxers. Basically, I like boxing but those guys are soft compared to ufc fighters and thai kickboxers. Yeah, I'm rambling but I dig the ufc and an I'm glad to see this post/link. UFC is going have a free fight night on Spike TV in the next month or so, it's worth a watch.

The Flying Finn
Master Bator

Post by The Flying Finn » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:40 pm

Yeah I get what you are saying Matt. It makes sense their balance would have to be different and that would affect their striking style. I guess I was a bit dissapointed because there was so little 'other' techniques used in the fight. I have seen UFC highlights with all these cool styles and this so called 'most anticipated ufc fight ever' (first full ufc fight I've seen) was little more than two guys standing around trying to pot shot each other.

A few years back there was a champion kick boxer from Vacaville, Dennis Alexio, who was such a bad ass. We used to go watch him fight in Sactown all the time. He later switched to boxing (for the money) and although his technique was pretty good he had no chin at all. He would be beating the crap out of some journeyman then take a short shot to the chin and he was out cold. Went back to kickboxing and dominated again. Saw him KO a guy with a single roundhouse kick to the head -bam. Now I'm rambling...
When the going gets tough the tough go skimboarding.

daver

Post by daver » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:17 am

As a licensed boxing judge
so that is your secret job.
Queen of the Valley

805er
Master Shit Talker

Post by 805er » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:21 am

Get over it Randy Savage! Good God! Let's have a NO-Cal v.s. VTA/SOCAL match on the beach...any takers?

P.S. We 've got CodeMan, Jeffy, the CP boys and some I can't name for legal reasons

That should stir the pot....

80Fighter

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:56 am

calm down 8-0-hogan... you wouldnt want them to break a nail would you. violence is not the answer most the time.

Matt5000

Post by Matt5000 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:30 am

Collin,
Yeah that card was actually pretty weak. There was no way that Chuck was going to lose that fight. Gracie vs Hughes will be the next "Most anticipated fight ever". If you get Spike TV they are always showing replays of good ufc fights. Fox Sports Net also sometimes shows replays of the Pride Fighting Championships which are also pretty good. Like skimboarding MMA fights are really hit and miss. Sometimes you show up and it's great and sometimes it just sucks.